Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Bottling Happiness

Merriam-Webster Dictionary online defines happiness as "a state of well-being and contentment or a pleasurable or satisfying experience" (n.d.). Happiness But, a state of well-being or contentment or even a pleasurable or satisfying experience can be different for everyone.

Happiness can be a phone call with your mom or a heartfelt-conversation with your sister about your past experiences. It can be laughing with co-workers about a ridiculous statement that someone said. It can be watching your child reach an important milestone. It can be starting or ending school (at any year or grade). It can be a date night with your significant other. It can be getting recognition from your boss. It can be nailing an essential interview or landing your dream job. It can be sitting down at the end of the night with a glass of wine and a good book. It can be laughing at your favorite comedian after discovering their new t.v. special. It can be finally seeing that show on Broadway that you have been wanting to see for over a year.

Happiness can be something different for everyone. I also think happiness can be small things that many people take for granted.

Happiness can be taking a breath in the morning. It can be walking down the street. Speaking "Hello" to a neighbor. Heading off to your job each morning. Eating a full meal three times a day. Taking a warm shower each day. Having enough food in your pantry. Having your mom, dad, grandma, grandpa (or any relative) around to call on the phone or visit every once in awhile. Drinking clean water. Having a place to rest your head at the end of a long day. Clothes on your back. Being able to kiss your loved ones whenever you see them. Being good health. It can also be as simple as opening your eyes in the morning and closing them each night.

Happiness is something that is special to each person. It is something that cannot be taken for granted. And sometimes we fall into that grove of unhappiness.

We have long days at a job where we are not respected for our integrity or our opinions. We have health issues that beat us down and never seem to go away. We aren't able to get enough sleep. We get into arguments with our loved ones and find it impossible to find a solution. We are frustrated over our children not listening to us. We get mad about our roommates or family members not cleaning up after themselves. We forget to set the alarm (or hit the snooze button) and run late for an important meeting. We run into traffic. We are served burnt coffee from the coffee shop. We have migraines. We have cramps. We don't get along with our co-workers. We don't get any alone time.

It's easy to feel unhappy. Some days are hard. Some days are just OK. Some days are heartbreaking. Some days it doesn't seem like it's really worth it.

Life isn't always easy. In fact, no one said it would be. We have to deal with the good and bad; sometimes there is more good than bad and sometimes there is more bad than good. But, there is always happiness. There is always one moment that we can recall from the day that will make it seem worth it.

And that is why I started a Happiness Jar for 2016.

What is a Happiness Jar? Well, I honestly have never heard of one before, but apparently they are a thing. Who knew?! One of my friends on Facebook posted the idea on New Years Day and I fell in the love with the concept and since it was the beginning of the year, I decided to start a new tradition for myself. While I don't have the link for the page that I saw on Facebook (it was some random person's picture), I did do a little research on Pinterest and found a great link for the explanation of a Happiness Jar and even a cute description about how to make your own jar. The Happiness Jar

Basically a Happiness Jar is a jar (duh!) of all your happy moments from the entire year. You take a scrap piece of paper (or any paper really) and write down a quick thought or memory from the day that made you happy. Fold up the paper and add it to the jar. At the end of the year, you read all your happy memories and reflect on your accomplishments, your successes, and your feelings. Some people do a little spin on the jar and read thoughts throughout the year when they are feeling down or they burn them at the end of the year to make way for new happy thoughts. Either way, it's a collection of all the moments that make you happy; it's a way to remember.

I haven't gotten a jar yet, but so far I have written down a happy note for each day. I know it's only the 6th of January and the year has just begun, but it's honestly a peaceful practice. It's nice to sit down for a few seconds to remember what made me laugh or smile that day. It's a great way to end my night or pull myself together right after the kids go to bed. But the best part of the happiness jar (so far) is that I will always have a happy moment to write about.

The Happiness Jar has made me realize just how lucky I am. Every day I wake up surrounded by people I love. I have my two kids who make my life complete and my husband who is always there for me. I live with two old and cranky, but completely loveable uncles who I am grateful for. I have a job in the field I love and went to school for; and even though it's a struggle to do everyday, for multiple reasons, I still earn money doing what I love. Not many people can say that. Each day I have food on my table, a warm home to come back to, a pillow to rest my head on, and pretty decent clothes to wear on my back. I am able to walk, talk, and breath on my own. I can think for myself and other than this really disturbing swollen gland that I am currently battling, I am in good health. I have a loving family (and an amazing extended family) who supports me in all I do and don't do (thanks for all the rides for my license-less self). I have friends who are there for me through thick and thin even though I suck at texting back. I have made new friends who make me laugh and helped me become a better teacher and person.

As long as I have all of these things, I have a happy moment each and every day to write about and for that I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment