Sunday, January 24, 2016

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Baking. Listening to Music. Blogging. Scrapbooking. These are a few of my favorite things. I'm not much of a cook, but I love to bake; my blueberry muffins and strawberry shortcakes are food-gasm worthy. Adele and Rascal Flatts speak to my soul. Writing is my favorite way to vent and organize my thoughts. Scrapbooking is how my creative talents emerge and how I preserve my memories. These are a few of my favorite things. However, there is something that I love more than all of these hobbies. Something that makes me feel like a world traveler, a teenager experiencing love for the first time, or a bystander with their heart ripped out because of some life-altering decision. Reading makes me feel like I do all of these things and more.

Reading is truly one of my passions; one that I wish I could have for a permanent job. In fact, I get insanely jealous of those people who make money and get free books from writing book blogs or making vlogs about their most recent reads. Reading opens the world to so many possibilities; depending on the type of book, stories can empower you, make you change your view of the world, laugh, cry, and everything in between. Sometimes when I am reading, the world just drifts away. It's my way to relax. It's how I fall asleep at night. It's how I gain insight into a world that, sometimes, makes no sense.

In fact, I love reading so much, that I have written about it on my blog before. I have met my favorite author, Jodi Picoult, and her daughter Samantha van Leer, at a book signing (with a picture to prove it)! I have communicated on Facebook with Colleen Hoover, Jennifer L. Armentrout, and G.A. McKevett. I have entered several book giveaways on goodreads and even won two books! I follow several book blogs and I am constantly looking for new books to add to my never-ending "to-be-read" list. I love to read! Which is why I have decided to combine two of my favorite things, reading and blogging, to create my "FAVORITE BOOKS of 2015 List"!

I read, and viewed videos, from book bloggers and authors alike, who created year-end favorite book lists and I decided to create one of my own. Although I read 60 "new books" (I reread several books as well) last year, there are a few that I felt incredibly passionate about. I narrowed the list down to four books; some of which released last year and some of which have been previously released and I just read them this past year. I should also go on the record saying that none of these authors have paid me to write these reviews; I just honestly love them and feel like the whole world should know about them!

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah was one of my favorite books last year and it spent several weeks on the New York Times Best Sellers List. I picked up this book for two reasons; first, I won it in a giveaway on goodreads and second, the cover was too stunning to not enter the giveaway for! It's literally a beautiful book inside and out.

The Nightingale is a story of war, family, love, passion, courage, strength, and oppression. It draws you in from the moment you read the first page and keeps your attention with it's heartbreaking descriptions, witty language, and relatable tales. This story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, who became young women in France during World War II at the time of Hitler's reign. Although neither woman was a Jew, their lives were greatly intertwined with the Nazi regime; their father went to war and came back a changed man, the Nazi's invaded their home town, Vianne's best friend was Jewish, and Isabelle followed her passion and became a hero. Although both sister's personalities, and lives, went in opposite directions, they both found a way to cope with the war and become strong, independent women.

This book made me laugh, cry, and remember the bonds that I have with my own family and sister. I just couldn't put it down! In fact, I want to write so much more about this book, but then I would spoil it for you. But if you are interested in historical fiction or if you love to read about complex family dynamics and passionate love, then The Nightingale is the perfect book for you! If you do like a few spoilers, or if you have read the story already, then I do have a more indepth review on goodreads.

In continuing with the historical fiction theme, I would also like to write about The Book Thief by Markus Zusak which was actually released in 2006 and became a movie in 2013. Just as The Nightingale took place during World War II, this novel follows the Nazi's reign in Germany. Unlike the citizen of France, who had no choice but to follow Hitler's Mein Kampf, the citizens of Germany (like the ones of this story), were mostly proud to follow Hitler's doctrine. Everyone except for Liesel and her accordion-playing foster father. Liesel worships the ground her father walks on; she admires his passion, his dedication to his family, and his ability to speak his mind. With her father's strength, Liesel goes against the Nazi's regime in order to steal books. She bonds with her father over learning to read, she finds strength in their pages, and begins to realize that there is so much more to the war than what's beyond her front door. Liesel's present, and her father's past, soon start to entwine to create an intricate story of stolen books, heart-wrenching moments, and actions that cannot be forgotten.

This story's incredibly hard to describe because of its overall theme and its heartbreaking content. I feel in love with Liesel, her foster father, and her best friend Rudy. This book made me feel so many things and it made me cry. I think I honestly cried while reading the story, but I also cried for days after I completed reading it. It's heartbreaking for me to read anything related to the Holocaust because my family members lived it; my great great aunt was a survivor of a concentration camp who later lived with my father. I have spent my life hearing about stories of the survivors from Lithuania, reading historical fiction related to the war, and watching videos about the heartbreaking events from this time period. It fascinates me, but at the same time horrifies me. This book, and The Nightingale, capture all the heartbreak and courage of these countries and individuals and I cannot praise them enough!

Switching gears, another book that spent months on the Best Sellers List and is going to be turned into a movie, is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. This psychological thriller follows the uneventful life of the perpetually drunk and bitter Rachel. Everyday Rachel drives the commuter train to and from work focusing on one particular house; that of a lovely couple who she has named "Jess and Jason". She imagines what their lives would be like; their passionate embraces, their beautiful faces, and their immaculate home. In fact, their house is located on the street where she once lived. One day though, Rachel sees something that changes the course of her life, and her thinking. Rachel becomes the center of a missing-person-turned-murder-investigation that involves the life of her ex husband, Tom, his new wife, Anna, and the mysterious "Jess/Jason" whose real names turn out to be Scott and Megan.

Honestly, I was reluctant to read this story because of its' comparisons to Gone Girl (which I am sorry to say, I HATED), but I read it as part of my "26 Book Challenge" because it was the "book everyone has read but me". It was slow to start, but the deplorable character drew me in. They were just average people; they were cheaters and drunks and liars. That could be a number of people that many of us know in real life. Their lives were interwoven in a way that kept me guessing right until the very end. Even though none of the characters "redeemed" themselves, it was a fascinating read and a much better psychological thriller than Gone Girl (which dragged on for me and whose ending was very anti-climactic). It's definitely worth picking up if you are a Law and Order or CSI fan.

The last book that I want to review is another thriller of sorts with a mysterious edge to it. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight is a young adult novel full of intrigue, complex family relationships, and friendships that are impossible to understand. Reconstructing Amelia tells the tale of high school student Amelia who turns up dead on her private-high school's property. Her mother, Kate, is stunned after the police rule her death a suicide. Even though her and her daughter's relationship had become increasingly strained, she knows that her daughter would never commit such an act after being caught cheating. Her grief, along with an anonymous text about her daughter's death, leads her on a whirlwind investigation into her daughter's life that connects past relationships, high school bullies, and stunning revelations. This tale of the complexities of mother-daughter relationships and vicious rumors makes for an interesting, relatable read.

Although this book is aimed at young adult readers, I feel as though many people can relate to its' underlying issues. There were many secrets that I kept from my own mother during my teenage years that put various strains on our relationship. I experienced first hand how fast rumors could spread in high school and how vicious bullies could be. I knew what it was like to want to be part of the "in-crowd" and wanting to feel accepted. High school is a complex, sometime vicious, environment and I felt like this story highlighted the "all-too-real" truth of what its' inner-workings can be. It was well-written and definitely worth your time!

Those are my top books of 2015. Even though the list is incredibly short, I feel like each of these stories evoked strong emotions in myself and are stunning to read. They made me laugh, cry, and they made me mad; they literally took my breath away and I couldn't recommend them anymore. Please take a little time to read; maybe not these books. But anything. Reading is a great escape, a valuable learning tool, and incredibly important to our youth!

As a little side note, I would love to give a shout out to a person that I recently met and admire already. She is a published author and very kindly linked my blog on her page. Please take a moment to check out Monica Fowler! She is humble and an author that is next on my reading list. Here I come, More Than One!

No comments:

Post a Comment